virgin islands scene

The entrepreneur always searches for change, responds to it, and exploits it as an opportunity.
-- Peter Drucker


Tuesday, December 28, 1999

Be reasonable

Follow the rules, stick to proven and effective procedures, but be reasonable. Expect the best, but be reasonable. People make mistakes, and accidents will happen. You are a living, caring, compassionate, reasoning person, not a machine.

Be efficient, but be reasonable. Every situation is different. Solve problems rather than just handling them. Cure the cause and not just the symptom. You have the wonderful ability to reason. Use it! If you pretend not to be able to reason people will see though the charade and it will only hurt you in the end.

Great minds can devise elaborate systems which anticipate 95% of the situations they will encounter and handle them with preprogrammed efficiency. For the other 5%, be extra reasonable. Use your mind to determine when to make an exception. Take care to respond with intelligence rather than reacting with detachment. Recognize those exceptions that prove the rule.

You can think. You can reason. So do it. Be reasonable, and you’ll stand high above the uncaring noise.

— Ralph Marston

previousHow do you want it?       Decide to benext

Copyright ©1999 Ralph S. Marston, Jr. All Rights Reserved. The Daily Motivator is provided for your personal, non-commercial use only. Other than personal sharing, please do not re-distribute without permission.