Monday, February 12, 1996
Abraham Lincoln was born on this day in 1809. He was one of the greatest leaders the world has known, and there are many things we can learn from his life.
First on the list is persistence. A look at Lincoln’s life finds that he:
- Failed in business at age 21
- Was defeated in a legislative race at age 22
- Failed again in business at age 24
- Overcame the death of his sweetheart at age 26
- Had a nervous breakdown at age 27
- Lost a congressional race at age 34
- Lost a congressional race at age 36
- Lost a senatorial race at age 45
- Failed in an effort to become vice-president at age 47
- Lost a senatorial race at age 49
- Was elected President of the United States at age 52
The life of Abraham Lincoln shows us what is possible, even in the continual face of adversity. Lincoln teaches us that there is no such thing as failure, and how we can excel by meeting challenges head on.
Ralph MarstonIf only . . .
Copyright ©1996 Ralph S. Marston, Jr. All Rights Reserved. The Daily Motivator is provided for your personal, non-commercial use only. Other than personal sharing, please do not re-distribute without permission.